Ten museums across South Dakota will be participating in the Smithsonian Institution’s annual Museum Day Live! program on September 24 by offering free admission to their museum galleries. Visitors can download free tickets to hundreds of museums across the nation here.
Participating South Dakota museums are listed below.
The South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center is hosting a traditional American Indian art demonstration event on the same day to celebrate.
“We wanted to do something special on Museum Day Live! this year and by providing this special program with American Indian artisans we felt that the day could be quite memorable for our audience,”South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center museum director Jay Smith said. “We hope everyone gets a chance to come out and visit with us on September 24.”
Partcipating South Dakota museums
- South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum | Brookings, S.D.
- Akta Lakota Museum & Cultural Center | Chamberlain, S.D.
- 1881 Courthouse Museum | Custer, S.D.
- Adams Museum | Deadwood, S.D.
- Days of ’76 Museum | Deadwood, S.D.
- Historic Adams House | Deadwood, S.D.
- Old Fort Meade Museum & Historical Research Association | Fort Meade, S.D.
- South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center | Pierre, S.D.
- Museum of Geology | Rapid City, S.D.
- The Center for Western Studies | Sioux Falls, S.D.